Save Lives Fund
Please select your country & currency. Donations are tax-deductible in the country selected.
This fund is designed for donors who want to support interventions that have the demonstrated ability to actually save lives. Diseases that are preventable or treatable in the “developed” world like malaria, diarrhea and pneumonia are targeted by the charities that this fund includes. Imagine if your child was one of the 14,000 children under 5 that dies each day of one of these preventable illnesses. You can save more lives than any superhero ever did!
Every day, approximately 14,000 children under five die—5.3 million a year. Each of these children is valued by their families the same way that you value yours—a staggering amount of individual and combined grief. Most of these deaths occur in the poorest regions on the planet, and most of them are preventable or easily treated.
Evidence-based charities like Living Goods and Development Media International deliver life-saving interventions›from medical supplies to health education—to families with children who need help the most. Supporting charities like Malaria Consortium and Against Malaria Foundation bring malaria prevention resources to regions like sub-Saharan Africa, home to nearly 90% of the children who die from malaria each year — one every two minutes.
Read more about the Save Lives Fund, and specifically about protecting people against malaria.
Currently, funds raised will be evenly distributed among charity recipients.
Our Giving Strategy
Our charity evaluation framework explains why and how our team identifies and evaluates recommended charities. Our framework seeks to be:
- Focused: We focus on problems that are important, tractable, and neglected amongst people living in extreme poverty.
- Adaptive: We consider a wide range of solutions and organizations with diverse strategies to achieve impact.
- Practical: We identify the most cost-effective charities, and encourage the greatest number of people to donate.
- Data-driven: We draw on the best possible evidence available to estimate the impact of each charity.
The Save Lives Fund seeks to support charities that directly save lives through a mixture of intervention types, including:
- Creating and/or providing high-quality equipment, preventive medicine, supplementation, and healthcare access to prevent leading causes of child deaths like malaria, diarrhoeal illnesses, and vitamin A deficiency.1
- Delivering customized health education and media campaigns at scale to inform communities of essential health practices, thus saving and improving lives by supporting skills, knowledge, and behavior related to accessing healthcare.2
- Promoting population health by increasing access to clean water and uptake of childhood vaccinations.3
1Against Malaria Foundation (bed nets), Equalize Health (affordable medical devices), Helen Keller International (vitamin A supplementation), Living Goods (community health workers, healthcare access, healthcare products/medicine), Malaria Consortium (Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention), Population Services International (reproductive health, family planning)
2Development Media International (health media campaigns), Living Goods (community health worker education)
3Evidence Action (Dispensers for Safe Water), New Incentives (promotion of vaccination coverage and supply)
Our research and evaluation team works to recommend high impact investments. Contact us if you would like to know more.
- Anna Demant – Advisor, Research and Evaluation
- Bilal Siddiqi – Advisor, Research and Evaluation
- Matias Nestore – Associate, Research and Evaluation
- Katie Stanford – Research & Business Intelligence Manager